On 2 October, Ian Baraclough named his squad for a very important and busy international break. Baraclough named 26 men in his second squad as Northern Ireland manager for the play-off semi-final against Bosnia & Herzegovina, and the Nations League games in Belfast against Austria and in Oslo versus Norway.
The big news following the announcement was that Jonny Evans is in the squad, after pulling out of last month’s fixtures, despite training with the squad prior to both games – said to be due to a combination of personal reasons and injury. The inclusion coming despite the Leicester City defender hobbled off in his side’s thumping of Manchester City in the penultimate weekend of fixtures before the international break.
St Johnstone midfielder, Ali McCann, who has been capped six times at U21 level, was the only new name in the squad, with Tom Flanagan also returning to the fold. Daniel Ballard remains in the squad after his impressive debut performance in the 1-1 draw away to Romania.
The goalscorer in Bucharest last month, Gavin Whyte, is also included, while Jordan Jones, who has been in favour for Rangers in recent weeks, will be hoping to make the starting 11 in Sarajevo on Thursday night.
Baraclough has an experienced group to choose from up-front, with Kyle Lafferty, Conor Washington, Josh Magennis and Liam Boyce battling it out for the likely one spot against the Bosnians.
- Bailey Peacock-Farrell (Burnley)
- Michael McGovern (Norwich City)
- Trevor Carson (Motherwell)
- Jonny Evans (Leicester City)
- Craig Cathcart (Watford)
- Stuart Dallas (Leeds United)
- Shane Ferguson (Millwall)
- Conor McLaughlin (Sunderland)
- Jamal Lewis (Newcastle United)
- Michael Smith (Hearts)
- Tom Flanagan (Sunderland)
- Daniel Ballard (Arsenal)
- Steven Davis (Rangers)
- Corry Evans (Blackburn Rovers)
- Niall McGinn (Aberdeen)
- Paddy McNair (Middlesbrough)
- George Saville (Middlesbrough)
- Gavin Whyte (Cardiff City)
- Jordan Jones (Rangers)
- Jordan Thompson (Stoke City)
- Joel Cooper (Oxford United)
- Alistair McCann (St Johnstone)
- Kyle Lafferty (Reginna)
- Josh Magennis (Hull City)
- Conor Washington (Charlton Athletic)
- Liam Boyce (Hearts)